Total Pageviews

Monday, September 22, 2008

Dealing with Detached Retina

September 12th I had an appointment at the ophthalmologist because I had light flashes in one eye when I would turn out a light in a room. A gray veil had appeared near my nose in that eye. He dilated my eyes and called me back in to examine my eyes. He said that I had a detached retina with 2 tears. He insisted that I drive to Atlanta and that I could not wait for Tommy to come and I could not stop to eat or drink. The next doctor I saw said that something had to be done that day and he was associated with Decatur Hospital which had closed the surgery department to move it. He sent me to another doctor who also insisted that I needed surgery immediately or I would lose sight in my right eye. So I had surgery at Piedmont Hospital at 9:00 p.m. Peyton drove Tommy down so he could take me back home after the surgery. We got back about 2:00 a.m.I feel fine except I have a huge bandage over my eye and I cannot see very well with one eye. I had no idea that my symptoms were so serious. Yeeech! You never know. I just wanted to let you know what had happened.I have nitrous oxide gas bubble in that eye so I cannot change altitudes or fly. He said that I could not go to work for two weeks, but we will see. I will saw the "Decatur" doctor on Tuesday the 16th in Gainesville. He said my eye was doing great and that I could go back to work on Wednesday.

No comments: